Sunday, August 26, 2018

twenty-eight

Pale Moon 28.0 was released back on August 16. Release notes can be found here.

Linux users can get the Pale Moon web browser in a few different ways. Some distros have it in their default repos, and Steve Pusser has builds available for Debian and Ubuntu, for example. I see it in the Arch User Repository (AUR), too (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/palemoon/). For more info, see the Pale Moon for Linux page.

Some folks are disappointed that the much-loved installer for Pale Moon, called pminstaller, is no longer being maintained "and will not work for installing or updating any version of Pale Moon 28+", as noted here. The browser can now be updated via the internal updater (for the settings, navigate Preferences > Advanced > Update tab):


Or updates can be brought in from the repos, if those are being used.

I've successfully used the following steps to get Pale Moon 28.0 for my Linux systems here (YMMV, and many users will prefer not to do things this way):

First, I download the bzipped tarball, which can be found here, to my ~/Downloads directory. Then, using the Double Commander file manager, I extracted the tarball into the same directory.

Next, I did the following to delete the old /opt/palemoon directory:

$ cd /opt
$ sudo rm -Rv palemoon/

Then, from the ~/Downloads directory, I moved the new palemoon directory into /opt:

$ sudo mv palemoon /opt

I ran the following to change ownership of the /opt/palemoon directory, to allow Pale Moon's internal updater to work:

$ sudo chown -R "$USER:$USER" "/opt/palemoon"

After those steps, I've been able to start up Pale Moon 28.0.0 with no problems. Then I deleted the now unnecessary ~/pminstaller directory. Done.


No comments: