Tuesday, April 9, 2013

moving right along


Chakra might be one of the best KDE distros out there. They're going with a "half rolling-release" schedule; their focus is on KDE, and it looks like they'll be staying near the cutting edge with it. I noticed this announcement at their web site:



I don't think many other distros have already going to KDE 4.10.2. I brought in the updates yesterday, and everything went smoothly.

Like Arch, from which it was forked, Chakra uses Pacman, although they haven't (yet) gone to the latest version, Pacman 4.1.0.



My biggest complaints about Chakra so far have been that (unlike in Sabayon) the Chakra repos don't have SpaceFM or Geany, and there was no Show Desktop widget for the panel. I'm guessing that they won't be adding SpaceFM and Geany, but I'm cool with using Dolphin and KWrite instead. As for the Show Desktop widget, the following command fixed that minor detail:

# pacman -S kdeplasma-addons-applets-showdesktop

Very nice looking distro.


No comments: