Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Kwheezy

Kwheezy was added to the the DistroWatch database this week. Ladislav Bodnar wrote, "Kwheezy is a Debian-based Linux distribution with an intuitive KDE desktop and a good selection of GNU/Linux and open-source software. It also includes popular device drivers, media codecs and browser plugins, all pre-configured and ready for use at first boot."




Kwheezy gives you Debian 7.1 (Wheezy) with KDE and a ton of other goodies (the 64-bit .iso comes in at a whopping 3.7 GB), and it's supposed to be easy to install. Yesterday, I tried a couple of times to download the 32-bit .iso, but the servers were so busy that I gave up; I'll try again some other time.

This distro is potentially a good alternative to something like Mepis, which still doesn't have a Wheezy-based release out, sadly (apparently, Mepis is still alive, but its small group of followers must certainly be running out of patience with the slow rate of development and the frustrating trickle of communication coming from its developer -- like I did months ago). I probably won't install Kwheezy here because I already have Wheezy KDE, but I do want to take a look at a live session. Kwheezy could turn out to be a nice project, especially for beginners, or even for more experienced users who want a quick and easy Debian KDE installation.

The Kwheezy web site: http://www.kwheezy.com/en/

Kwheezy's page at DistroWatch: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kwheezy

2 comments:

Euan Thoms said...

You must try it. Download the torrent, it should be much faster. The Kwheezy download server is based in Asia and has limited bandwith. Any problems installing, visit the wikis on the kwheezy website, or use the contact form on support page.

Euan (Kwheezy developer)

MALsPa said...

Thanks for the info! I'll try it. I really like the idea of this project, I hope it really takes off.