Tuesday, September 18, 2018

ob-love!

Yesterday I downloaded archlabs-2018-07-28.iso to have a look at the latest from ArchLabs, the Arch-based, Openbox distro that offers a BunsenLabs/CrunchBang look and feel. I ran the live session from a flash drive. Here's a look at the Welcome window on the default desktop:


I thought everything looked good in the live session. I decided to do a hard drive installation; I found the "Run Installer" option right there in the desktop menu:


The installation was probably the most pleasant experience I've had building an Arch system. The installer walked me through everything, even offering other desktop environment/window manager choices, and handled the UEFI stuff on my HP 15 notebook perfectly.

The default ArchLabs desktop is quite usable "out-of-the-box". They went with a polybar instead of a tint2 panel, but a nice tint2 option was provided. ArchLabs has some interesting menu tools; the default menu is a "static" menu, but the user can switch to a "dynamic" menu. I found a good selection of default apps and tools.

In /etc/pacman.conf, I found the following repos enabled: [core], [extra], [community], [multilib], and [archlabs_repo]. And I found aurman included, for dealing with AUR packages. I checked to see how many packages were from that [archlabs_repo]:

$ paclist archlabs_repo
archlabs-aurman 2.17.2-1
archlabs-common 1.3.5-1
archlabs-dARK 1.0-1
archlabs-fonts 1.2-1
archlabs-homepage 1.2.1-1
archlabs-icons 1.2-1
archlabs-keyring 2018.06.09-1
archlabs-kickshaw 0.6.4-1
archlabs-networkmanager-dmenu 58.2-1
archlabs-ob-autostart 1.0-1
archlabs-obkey 1.0-1
archlabs-oblogout 0.2.5-1
archlabs-paranoid 1.2-1
archlabs-pipemenus 2.6.18-1
archlabs-polybar 3.2.0-1
archlabs-screenlock 2.10.3-1
archlabs-skippy-xd 1.0-1
archlabs-themes 1.5.1-1
archlabs-user-skel 1.7.21-1
archlabs-wallpapers 1.5.1-1
b43-firmware 6.30.163.46-1


While the default setup looked good, Openbox is for tweaking; I've changed a lot of things and added some of my favorite apps. A few shots of my rearranged ArchLabs desktop:




Overall, one of the best distros I've seen. A couple of links for ya:

ArchLabs home page - https://archlabslinux.com/
ArchLabs at DistroWatch - https://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=archlabs

No comments: