Monday, July 29, 2019

sakura

There are many excellent terminal emulators out there for Linux users. One that doesn't seem to get mentioned often (or, I should say that I don't recall seeing the name before today): Sakura, which I'm testing out now.

Lightweight, distro agnostic, doesn't have a lot of dependencies; seems to fit in nicely with some things I like to do here. There's a GUI menu that pops up with a right-click on the window, but there's also a nice configuration file (~/.config/sakura/sakura.conf).

I first tried Sakura in Kubuntu 18.04, in an Openbox session. A couple of shots:


The sakura -? command shows Help options, and there's a manpage that can be brought up with the man sakura command. Also, I found some nice tips at this web page: http://troubleshooters.com/linux/sakura.htm

I see Sakura available from the repos for Debian Stable and Ubuntu 18.04 ("Bionic"), as well as from Arch's Community repo. It's quick and easy to install, and well worth taking for a test spin.

No comments: