Saturday, November 2, 2019

an easier way

I recently did an installation using the Anarchy Linux Arch Installer (see: https://www.anarchylinux.org/). I downloaded anarchy-1.0.8-x86_64.iso, wrote it to a flash drive, and booted into the text-based installer. I chose the "Anarchy-xfce4" desktop installation. The installer gave me the option to install other packages, but I chose only Audacious, Firefox, and Geany to start out with.

The installation steps weren't difficult to navigate, and there weren't many steps; just had to wait for stuff to get downloaded and installed. I couldn't find much documentation for Anarchy, but the idea is to refer to the Arch Linux documentation, so I did that.

Anarchy gave me a nice Xfce setup, usable right out of the box for getting to work.



I removed some of the stuff that Anarchy installed, running sudo pacman -Rns vlc libreoffice-fresh chromium gnome-packagekit. I added a few more packages, made some other changes under the hood, and totally re-did the desktop. I added libreoffice-still to replace libreoffice-fresh.


I actually needed a few tries to get the hang of the Anarchy installer, but the end result is a very nice Arch Linux installation. It looks like a nice way for a user to get a first taste of Arch, but folks who are already familiar with the Arch installation process might appreciate Anarchy as well. I think that experienced Arch users would be better able to take advantage of it than those who've never been through a "real" Arch installation.

No comments: