Wednesday, April 29, 2020

i can work with it

Dedoimedo had some complaints about (and fixes/workarounds for) the new Firefox 75 address bar in "Firefox 75 - Not bad but also not necessary" and "How to change the address bar in Firefox 75 (and beyond)".

I've been using FF 75 in Arch and in Kubuntu 19.10. Got used to it quickly, and now I like it, for the most part. I'd like an easy way to edit the alternate search engines that appear when I open a new tab and click in the address bar:


I have no need for Facebook or Twitter but I'm okay with the other three. Just a minor annoyance (for me), though. I dug around and figured out how to do it. First, I took a look at this page: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/search-firefox-address-bar

A link there took me to the "Customize the New Tab page" instructions, which show how to add or remove the so-called "Top Sites". The result here, with Firefox 75.0 in Arch:


Looks like I could easily get rid of the other three as well (I can always use DuckDuckGo !bang codes for those), but I'll leave 'em for now.

I can completely see where Dedoimedo's coming from. It can be irritating sometimes when changes come down the pipe, especially when you don't really want something to change. Still, I'm finding the revamped address bar to be more useful than what it replaced. Not a problem here.

No comments: