Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lenny Live

According to this Linux-Watch article (a thank-you going out here to my pal, ComputerBob, for giving me the heads-up on this), the soon-to-be released Debian Lenny will come with a live CD.

I've often wondered why Debian did not have a live CD like many other distros -- I've considered live CDs to be one of the best things to ever happen to Linux. But, as the article points out, "...live CD image blasts have one serious drawback. They're only as up-to-date as the installer..."

I guess this could be an issue for a long-term release distro like Debian.

I'm not sure that it would be much of an issue for me. I plan on trying the live CD out. But I'm curious to find out if it will as useful as the Mepis live CD has been for me. Will it contain GParted? That's the most important tool on the Mepis live CD for me. That partition editor is the main reason why I always try to keep a Mepis live CD handy.

Even with the Lenny live CD, I plan on ordering a CD set to use for my Lenny installation. Because I use dial-up, the 5-CD set I used to install Debian Etch made things very nice. There were lots and lots of applications included that I would otherwise have had to download.

I've been patiently, but eagerly, awaiting the final release of Debian Lenny (or, should I say, its move to Debian "Stable"). This news has me looking forward to it even more!

No comments: